Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wall Street's 99 Percent Took Out Too Much Student Loan Debt

Ezra Klein gives it the old college try, but I'm not buying it. See: "Who are the 99 percent?" (via Memeorandum):
College debt shows up a lot in these stories, actually. It’s more insistently present than housing debt, or even unemployment. That might speak to the fact that the protests tilt towards the young. But it also speaks, I think, to the fact that college debt represents a special sort of betrayal. We told you that the way to get ahead in America was to get educated. You did it. And now you find yourself in the same place, but buried under debt. You were lied to.
I don't think so. Scroll down at the website, "WE ARE THE 99 PERCENT." I honestly don't know what people expect? What are they thinking? They attend college, perhaps for a Bachelor's degree, and graduate with $100 thousand in student loans? That's gotta be the definition of insanity. I graduated with a Bachelor's of Political Science at the age of 30 with no debt. None. Zero. Nothing. My first year of graduate school I continued working part time on Saturdays for extra income. That allowed me to borrow less that I could have in federal student loans. Then by the second year of the program I won a four-year fellowship that paid for tuition along with a stipend and teaching employment (guaranteed two TA assignments per year). I quit my part time job to attend my studies. I graduated with my Ph.D. with about $60 thousand in loans. I've been paying them down ever since. It was a good investment. But I would've never taken out that kind of money for a Bachelor's. These young people haven't been betrayed by the poor economy. They've been lied to and ripped off by all the people who told them they could borrow their way through undergraduate college rather than pay their own way.

Added: From Bruce Kesler, at Maggie's Farm, "Tea Partiers Against The Biggees, Wall Street Protesters Want To Be Biggees."

No comments:

Post a Comment